SWITCH edu-ID is a universal, secure and personal digital identity for lifelong access to services in the university environment. Since 10 November 2020, the "SWITCH edu-ID" has been mandatory at the University of Basel for user registration for a growing number of services.
In its final version, "SWITCH edu-ID" will offer users, students and staff the following advantages:
- A personal identity for all services in the Swiss university environment, irrespective of the organisation.
- The identity is valid for life, and extends beyond membership of an organisation.
- Users control the content and scope of their identity themselves.
- Anyone who studies or works at several universities will only need one account.
What do I have to do?
Create a personal "SWITCH edu-ID" and link it to the University of Basel. This is the only way you can use the services offered.
Depending on whether you already have a SWITCH edu-ID or not, use one of the following instructions.
To create a personal "SWITCH edu-ID", use the following instructions:
To create the "SWITCH edu-ID", the following personal details are required:
- Username and password of your UNIBAS account (e.g. unibasel\muster001). The UNIBAS account can be found on the master data sheet or can be looked up on the viaweb portal.
Call up the SWITCH edu-ID registration portal .
Select the University of Basel from the drop-down list (1).
Select Register (2).
Log in with your UNIBAS account.
For security reasons, we recommend that you use a different password for the "SWITCH edu-ID" account from that of your UNIBAS account. These are two separate accounts.
A confirmation message will be sent to the e-mail address stored in your "SWITCH edu-ID" account.
- Username and password of your "SWITCH edu-ID" account must be known to you.
- You must know the user name and password of your account at the University of Basel (e.g. muster001). You will find the details on the master data sheet or you can look them up on the viaweb portal.
Call up the Unibasel "SWITCH edu-ID" linking service of the University of Basel: https: //eduid.its.unibas.ch.
Log in with your University of Basel account.
Select "YES, I ALREADY HAVE A SWITCH EDU-ID ACCOUNT".
Log in with your SWITCH edu-ID account
Confirm the information by clicking on "YES, CONFIRM".
Your SWITCH edu-ID account is now linked to the University of Basel.
You can log out.
A confirmation message will be sent to your e-mail address stored in the SWITCH edu-ID account that the organisational identity unibas.ch has been added.
FAQ's about "SWITCH edu-ID
The "SWITCHaai" account has been replaced by the SWITCH edu-ID and is no longer required.
Go to the SWITCH edu-ID login screen and select "Forgot your password?" Enter your e-mail address and the captcha code displayed. If the account already exists, an e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address you entered. If the account does not exist, the following message will be displayed - "Must be a valid e-mail address". Create a SWITCH edu-ID account according to the instructions "I do not have a SWITCH edu-ID account".
Call up the "SWITCH edu-ID Linking Service" of the University of Basel.
Log in with your University of Basel account. If your "SWITCH edu-ID" is already linked to the University of Basel, this will be indicated.
In the "My edu-ID" web application, the account must be linked to the "University of Basel" (see instructions above). A major advantage of the "SWITCH edu-ID" is that several universities can be linked at the same time.
Spitalstrasse 41, 3rd Floor
Phone +41 61 207 14 11
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.Send email